Prepainted Diecast Metal Model

Collectors item: Not suitable for children under 14

Retail: $29.95
Price: $26.95
You Save: $3.00 (10.0%)
    Points to Purchase:2695
    Points Earned:26
    Bonus Points Earned:0

    German Sd. Kfz. 234/2 Puma 8-Wheeled Armored Car - 2.Panzer Division, Normandy, 1944 (1:72 Scale)

    Item Number: PS88013


    "We must do everything we can to promote anti-tank defense, and work just as hard to guarantee successful counter-attacks through the instrument of powerful tank forces of our own."
    - Major-General Heinz Guderian, "Achtung Panzer!"

    On August 5th, 1940, an order was given to design an eight-wheeled armored car similar in design to the Sd. Kfz. 231. Unlike the previous design, where the armored body was bolted to the chassis, the Sd. Kfz. 234 armored hull was to serve as the chassis, thereby strengthening the overall integrity of the vehicle. Furthermore, the armored car was to have heavier armor and a 12-cylinder air-cooled diesel engine that would enable it to operate in the hot climate of North Africa as well as the cold steppes of western Russia. Two trial versions were built and an initial order was made for 500 vehicles, which was later increased to 1,500. The initial requirement was for a vehicle equipped with the 5cm KwK 39/1 gun (Sd. Kfz. 234/2). In January 1944, the order was cut to limit the Puma production to 100 vehicles so that two new variants could be created, one mounting a 2cm KwK gun and the other a more powerful 7.5cm KwK gun.

    Pictured here is a 1:72 scale replica of a German Sd. Kfz. 234/2 Puma 8-wheeled armored car that was attached to 2.Panzer Division, then serving in Normandy during 1944. Sold Out!

    Dimensions:
    Length: 3-1/4 inches
    Width: 1-1/4 inches

    Release Date: November 2010

    Historical Account: "Veterans All" - 2.Panzer Division was created in 1935, and stationed in Austria after the Anschluss. It participated in the campaigns in Poland (1939) and France (1940), and then returned to Poland for occupation duties (1940-1941). It took part in the Balkans campaign (1941) and then transferred to the Russian Front in September 1941. It fought with Army Group Center in the battles of Moscow (1941) and Kursk (1943). After heavy losses on the Russian Front it was sent to France for rehabilitation (1944). It fought in Normandy and was almost completely destroyed in the Falaise Pocket (1944). It was rebuilt once more and fought in the Battle of the Bulge (1944) and in the defense of the Rhine (1945), surrendering to the Americans at war's end.