The A-4 Skyhawk was manufactured by Douglas Aircraft Corporation and was designed by Ed Heinemann. Its primary users are United States Navy and United States Marine Corps. Its maiden flight happened on the 22nd of June 1954 but it was introduced in 1956. The Blue Angels chose the A-4 in the early '70s, replacing the thundering F-4. By adopting the Skyhawk, the team now had an aircraft that was much more aerobatic than before. This allowed for a tighter display and the ability to keep much of the performance in front of the audience.